ASTA’s committees hold in-person meetings twice annually. Meetings to be held in Amelia Island are listed below.
2:00 pm – 4:00 pm
The Education Committee helps ASTA in its strategic goals to ensure clean, safe spice throughout the supply chain by providing education in a variety of formats:
- Develop and provide comprehensive education to meet industry needs
- Identify and develop educational topics
- Identify appropriate vehicles to maximize reach
- Influence and drive industry demand for education
- Utilize recognized experts to provide education
- Develop the pre-conference workshop sessions held in conjunction with the Annual Meeting
8:00 am – Noon
Food Safety Committee
The Food Safety Committee helps ASTA in its strategic goals for food safety by providing resources to support industry efforts ensuring clean, safe spice & utilize global alliances to reach the entire supply chain:
• Monitor new and emerging issues in the food safety arena that impact the spice industry
• Provide tools and resources to educate the industry on food safety issues and ensure a supply of clean and safe spices
• Conduct research on food safety issues specific to the spice industry as needed
• Publish science-based recommendations for compliance with FSMA Preventive Controls and other food safety requirements
• Review and update ASTA methods and oversee the ASTA “check sample” program
8:30 am – 11:30 am
Government Relations Committee
Government Relations Committee helps ASTA in its strategic goals to monitor and shape U.S. policy issues affecting the spice industry:
• Monitor regulatory and policy developments
• Maintain strong relationships with federal agencies, legislators, state governments and other key policy stakeholders
• Develop comments and positions on emerging regulations to advocate for the spice industry
• Provide tools and resources to educate the spice industry on new policy and regulatory developments including FSMA and much more
• Plan the ASTA Regulatory Workshop held in Washington DC annually
Get Involved in ASTA!
ASTA is always seeking qualified volunteers to work with the various committees to help execute the strategic goals of ASTA. Volunteering is a rewarding experience that allows you to connect with colleagues old and new, help shape ASTA’s activities and programs, and develop your professional skills.
If you are interested in being invited to any of these committees as a guest to see if serving on an ASTA committee is right for you, the first step is contact staff at [email protected] This is so we can ensure you have a seat at the table and have your name badge ready for you. As a reminder you must be an ASTA member to serve on an ASTA committee or be invited as a guest to participate.
Beyond these Committees, ASTA also regularly develops new Task Forces to work on special projects. Let us know what kind of volunteer opportunities you are interested in and we will let you know when the right opportunity comes available.